Childbirth is a painful experience for every woman. But, the response to the pain varies from women-to-women. Some women’s use every available option to mitigate the pain while others avoid any kind of drugs. Women experiencing pregnancy can use different pain relieving options. Hence, it is necessary that you have complete knowledge of different ways of relieving pain. It is better to be prepared beforehand. It is advisable that be flexible in choosing your pain relieving options. For more information click here.
Non-medical options for pain relief
- Good physical condition is a must for every woman experiencing pregnancy. They should carry out regular exercise during their pregnancy period. This will help them in keeping themselves healthy.
- You should avoid the use of cigarettes, alcohol and other related substance that can be harmful to you and the child’s health.
- Having complete knowledge of the stages of pregnancy will you to be prepared. It will help you to reduce anxiety thus, keeping you stress-free.
- Support from family and friends can help you in managing the anxiety during difficult times.
- Listening to music is one of the options to overcome the intensity of pain. It diverts your mind off the pain thus, relieving you from the pain.
- Try gentle massage, a warm shower, or use of hot and cold packs will help in soothing the pain.
Medical options for pain relief
- Nitrous oxide: Nitrous oxide is also known by the name laughing gas. It does not eliminate the pain but, it takes an edge on the level of intensity of the pain. It does not linger in the body of the patient.
- Pethidine: It is a pain reliever medicine injected in the muscle. It soothes the pain for around 2 to 4 hours. Use of Pethidine ensures relief from severe pain for a couple of hours till you consult a doctor.
- Epidural anaesthesia: It is one of the most effective options for pain relief. It is injected in the spinal cord. This makes the area from the waist down numb thus, making your body immune to the pain. The heart rate of the baby is monitored continuously.