As we age, we lose volume in our faces, which leaves us with drooping eyes, wrinkles and grooves in various areas of the face. Pair this loss of elasticity with various other environmental factors and your skin starts to lookolder and tired as time goes on.
If you’re looking to rejuvenate your face but you don’t love the idea of surgery, facial fat grafting is a great alternative. This minimally-invasive procedure will help restore volume in areas such as your cheeks, leaving you with a more youthful appearance.
Facial fat grafting explained
In order to restore any volume that’s been lost, fat is transferred from other areas of the body into the face. The fat grafts are mostly obtained from the thighs, hips, buttocks and arms. Anywhere there’s excess fat.
Fat grafting can be performed at a clinic as it only requires local anaesthetic and a 60 – 90 minute appointment. Fat grafting is a procedure that is mostly used by women in their late 40s or older.
How does fat grafting work?
Using liposuction, fat is harvested from the donor area, after which is purified before being injected into the relevant areas of the face. Once a new blood supply is formed, it will help support the newly transplanted fat.
For a more detailed explanation of how this procedure works, visit https://www.drzurek.com.au/our-procedures/fat-grafting/
How long does recovery take?
After a fat grafting procedure, patients can expect some bruising and swelling but this will subside within 1 to 2 weeks. You will be able to see final results after about 3 months.
Facial fat grating benefits
– Results are long lasting. The results of your facial fat graft should last for several years but in some cases, results are permanent. Soft tissue fillers only last around 6 – 10 months
– Improves skin quality. Since your harvested fat contains stem cells, the fat grafting process will provide you with long-term facial rejuvenation
– Natural-looking results. Facelifts can often leave you with that ‘pulled-tight’ look, making it obvious that you had work done. Facial fat grafts, on the other hand, look completely natural
– No allergic reactions. Since you are using tissue and fat from your own body, your immune system won’t react to it. Synthetic fillers are far more likely to result in an allergic reaction
– Low risk. Fat grafting is minimally invasive and because no incisions are required, there is a lot less risk involved with the procedure
– Minimal downtime. When compared to other surgical procedures, fat grafting requires very little downtime
– Contour your problem areas. Because the fat grafting procedure incorporates liposuction, you will be able to remove stubborn pockets of fat from other areas of your body too
The only real concern with fat grafting is how much of the transplanted fat will survive but if your surgeon uses the right technique, there is a much higher chance that the fat cells will survive. It’s for this reason that it’s so important to do your research in order to choose the right surgeon.