Minoxidil is known as a potential anti-hypertensive drug. It has vasodilating property because of which the blood vessels get dilated. Hair growth is promoted with the stimulation of hair follicles in the resting phase of the hair to the growing phase. FDA approved it for hair treatment. Minoxidil 5 is used as foams, lotion and pills.
Following are the benefits you can get using minoxidil:
- Hair loss progression is slowed down
- It is the only FDA approved treatment for hair loss
- Chemotherapy-induced alopecia
- It also promotes the growth of the hair even to those who went through hair transplantation.
- It slows down the ageing of keratinocytes
- Scarring alopecia can be treated with it
Every medicine comes with side-effects, and so is minoxidil. Let’s look at some of the side-effects:
- A mild headache with itchy scalp
- Lightheadedness or a headache
- Low blood pressure
- Angina or chest pressure
- Tingling or numbness in the body
- Blurred vision
- Fast weight gain
- Facial hair growth (when used in excess quantity or used in higher percentages than the recommended dose)
- Color or texture of hair might get changed
- Swelling of the face for a short period of time
Minoxidil only helps people who have pattern baldness, and maximum bald people around the world are pattern bald. Pattern baldness is the type of baldness that comes from grandparents to father to the son and so on. Minoxidil 5 is recommended for only men, while Minoxidil 2 is recommended for women.
In many cases, it is seen that minoxidil stops hair loss permanently. There are even case studies where minoxidil has made regrowth of new hair.
You don’t need any kind of medical prescription to get minoxidil. You can easily get over-the-counter from any pharmacy or online. But it is still recommended that you should at least visit a dermatologist before using it.