Vitamin C is important not just for boosting the immune system but also for rejuvenating the skin. From its positive impacts on hyperpigmentation and acne, its antioxidant properties makes it essential for improving skin complexion as well as reducing the signs of aging. While Vitamin C is contained in the foods you consume, using a topical vitamin C serum helps in maximizing its benefits.
What are Vitamin C Serums?
These serums have vitamin C as their active ingredients. Along with other ingredients, the vitamin C in serums combat free radicals, boost collagen production, reduce inflammation and irritation, as well as improve skin tone. Here are the two kinds of vitamin C contained in cosmetic compounds:
- L-Ascorbic Acid. This vitamin C derivative is often contained in skincare products and supported by research. It can protect the skin against ultraviolet rays, increase the levels of elastin and collagen as well as minimize dark spots and discoloration. However, this vitamin C tens to oxidize quickly when exposed to light and air so products with this vitamin must be stored with utmost care. Also, these products should not have more than 20% L-ascorbic acid concentrations to prevent redness and irritation.
- Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. This vitamin works by boosting elastin and collage production, keeping the skin tone even and positively affecting hyperpigmentation. This vitamin does not oxidize quickly when exposed to air and light. Also, it is gentle on the skin. It can be used in concentration that ranges from 1% to 20%.
Benefits of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C serums can treat various skin issues that include the following:
- Acne. Vitamin C helps in treating acne by fighting free radicals, treating inflammation and scarring as well as reducing post-breakout scarring. Free radicals include bacteria and environmental toxins that cause most acne in people. Vitamin C protects the skin against these toxins by decreasing them to harmless compounds and eliminating harmful toxins from the skin. Also, vitamin C calms the immune system to prevent the healthy skin from being destructed. It helps with the natural healing process of the body to boost acne scar healing.
- Hyperpigmentation. There are many forms of this skin issue such as brownish marks, age spots, and sun spots. These problems are caused by the melanin accumulation which makes the skin look older. Discoloration is often caused by ultraviolet exposure which stimulates skin pigment cells and allows the body to produce melanin.
Vitamin C exfoliates the skin and encourages the regeneration of cells. It allows the shedding of dead skin which is replaced with a new skin, causing hyperpigmentation to fade. Also, vitamin C blocks tyrosinase, the major component of melanin production. This can prevent skin discoloration.
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles. Serums with vitamin C promote the production of elastin and collagen, the skin’s building blocks, preventing wrinkles and lines. As people age, there will be less production of these proteins. But, people can get their vitamin C from serums to enjoy the benefits. Clinique Anti Aging has many other treatment options for various skin issues.
Vitamin C serums are a great addition to your skincare routine, especially when combined with powerful antioxidants. Apart from helping treat skin discoloration, free radical damage, and acne, they can serve as a preventative treatment to stop the appearance of aging signs. With vitamin C in your regular beauty products, you can be sure to have a glowing and smooth skin.